Since we have some great networking opportunities coming up this semester I thought it would be helpful to list some networking tips. As a senior I have attended many networking events and in the past have found it helpful to seek tips from my peers before the event. The tips listed below can be found on the website ” Business Know How”:
- First make sure to remember that networking is about being your self. It is about developing relationships so being genuine is very important.
- Look the part! Make sure you look professional. First impressions are key.
- Make sure that you know what your goals are! This will help you make decisions during the event and will help you choose who you want to network with.
- Make sure that you do your research! If you know you want to speak with a certain company make sure you’re up to date with the company news!
- Ask open-ended questions, questions that ask who, what, where, when and how instead of those that can be answered with a simple yes or no.
- Be an individual! Networking events are about standing out! You want them to put that star on your resume. Bring something to the table that makes you different from everyone else at the event.
- Be ready to answer any questions they may have for you! Review your resume before the day of the event. You should be able to tell them about everything on your resume without ever looking down!
- Email the people you meet who may benefit from what you do and vice versa. Express that you enjoyed meeting them, and ask them to keep you in mind for future opportunities.
This guest blog was written by PRowl Public Relations staff member Josie Fox.