Recently, I conducted a workshop for Temple’s PRSSA about the importance of maintaining your LinkedIn profile. As a college student, having an account is vital for virtual networking and job/internship hunts. “The Professional Facebook” is one of my ideal social media platforms because it offers you the opportunity for personal branding.
How to Create an Impressive Profile
- Use a professional profile picture
- Add a professional email and customize your URL
- Include your website or blog
- Make a short, but impressive headline
- Take advantage of your summery by writing your “story”
- Keep work experience relevant
- Connect with people of interest with you by sending them personalized invitations
- Follow companies and influences
- Join groups
- Endorse people’s skills
- Maintain relationships by messaging, liking and commenting, and endorsing
- Post newsworthy updates, photos, and links to published work
Staying as transparent as professionally possible on LinkedIn is key. By maintaining a profile, employers will be drawn to your activism and passion for the industry.