Have no fear fellow stressed out students, the end is near. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. Between final projects, final presentations, and final exams you don’t know where to begin to tackle your workload.
If you are anything like me, you are sitting in classes thinking about your Thanksgiving dinner or doodling holiday graphics instead of taking notes. A month may seem like a long time but the next four weeks are going to fly by so hold on and (try to) enjoy the ride. Here are some tips to help you stay organized and focused:
- Make a to-do list. In fact, make multiple to-do lists; whatever works best for you. You may not be an advocate of to-do lists but in times of multiple deadlines they are a great way to keep you on track.
- Invest in sticky notes and carry them with you at all times. Sticky notes are useful when it comes to jotting down ideas or tasks that pop into your head throughout the day. Then you can stick them on your wall, your agenda book, your laptop…the possibilities are endless.
- Start studying for exams early. Finals week may seem far off but if you make your flash cards and outlines in your spare time now, you will have more time to study them later.
- Organize your time. Instead of spending your Tuesdays watching Law and Order: SVU and sitting on the couch, do some school work. Making a daily schedule that includes what and when you are getting something done may help to keep you focused.
- Breathe. Remember to allow yourself some down time to relax. Run off your stress at the gym. Cuddle up with a book that doesn’t involve theories and definitions. Have a dance party with yourself. And if all else fails, call mom.
“The greatest weapon against stress is our ability to choose one thought over another”- William James, American philosopher.
Stay positive, drink a lot of coffee, and sleep often. You are almost one semester closer to the real world!
What is your best strategy for keeping calm and collected at the end of the semester?
This guest blog post was written by Kaylie Corallo.