With New York Fashion Week coming to an end, we are reminded about our personal styles and what pieces in our closet are classic and timeless. As PR professionals, we also have to evaluate what skills we have under our belts that are also classic and timeless. With these five skills, you can be sure you will never go out of style!
- Writing – We are always writing. Whether it be press releases, news articles, or media advisories we will never be done writing. An important skill to learn about writing is getting to the point. You have to know what is important and learn to communicate that first.
- Interpersonal Skills – In the PR world, it is all about who you know, not what you know. With this industry, it is all about interacting with others. Being able to successfully network with other professionals will open many doors as well as make your work so much easier.
- Media Awareness – This could quite possibly be the key to any successful PR career. We must be always one step ahead of the media and know what the next big thing is. Keeping up with social media, news, TV and radio is a big part of success.
- Attention to Detail – while there is the saying “don’t sweat the small things”, in PR you have to be ready for anything that may be thrown your way. Some of the smallest things can unravel into a bigger problem so you must always be prepared.
- Business Sense – While we are not the math pros, we will need to have a good sense of what will be best for our client’s business. You have to have a bit of knowledge about business, statistics and measurement in order to be taken seriously in the PR world.
If you can tailor these skills to best fit you, much like your favorite pair of jeans or little black dress you will have the perfect wardrobe and skill set for success! Let us know if you have any other skills to add to the list!
This guest blog post was written by PRowl Public Relations staff member Virginia Laskowski