As we enter 2012, many May grads are going into panic mode about finding a job after graduation (if they haven’t already). With the state of the job market, you need to be doing everything that you can to make sure your best self is out there for employers to see. Below I have outlined some things to keep in mind during your job search in the midst of commencement.
- Stay connected. Social networking can be a great resource to find out who is hiring as well as promoting yourself and meeting key people in the industry through LinkedIn, Twitter and Facebook.
- Get a post-grad internship. Recent graduates should be open to an internship, even if it is unpaid. While the company may not be hiring now, in a few months there could be an opening for you to fill. It could even help you narrow down where you really want to see yourself when you are employed full-time.
- Volunteer. Nonprofits are always in need of public relations or media relations help to raise money for their cause and get media coverage. You’ll feel a sense of accomplishment if you find something you are passionate about.
- Go corporate. While it may not be specifically public relations, broadening your horizons to include communications will be more appealing to larger companies. There is opportunity to move to different departments and gain a lot of different experience.
- Stay positive! Don’t be discouraged if you don’t get the first few jobs you interview for. Hard work will pay off if you keep trying for the job that will be the best fit for you.
Are you graduating in the near future? What are your job-hunting tips for your peers?
To read more click here.