As you all know, today we had our first PRSSA meeting of the semester. There were lots of PRSSA veterans there, as well as some new faces. Even though we went over some of the great benefits of becoming a member of PRSSA, here are some of the highlights:
- Putting a professional organization on your resume can do wonders for you at an interview. Even though your GPA is important, employers are looking for people with experience, and PRSSA is a great place to get some!
- Seeing the guest lecturers is fantastic. As Professor Feistman said, many times guest lecturers come with business cards AND internship opportunities. Even if they aren’t looking for interns, it’s a good opportunity to ask tons of questions and get your name out there.
- There are many opportunities for you to take advantage of, right within the organization. From writing for the newsletter to being on the fundraising committee, there is always something exciting to do that will get you involved!
- Network, network, network! PRSSA is a great place to network with PRSA members, faculty, people that work in the public relations field, and each other! Remember that the people you’re attending meetings with may be your coworkers in the future. As much as the professionals can be a useful resource, so can your fellow students.
- Last, but not least, it’s FUN! I think that this year PRSSA will be especially exciting. I know that E-Board has tons of fun activities planned, and I hope to see everyone come out for a good time!
So here’s the deal, join PRSSA, get experience and have a great time. Don’t forget to come back next week – Room 217D in the SAC. See you then!